Founded in 1903 by Mr William Hobkirk, Wm Hobkirk & Son began trading from Salford, Blackburn (Not Manchester). William was joined by his son Edgar Hobkirk then in the 60's by Edgar's son and William's grandson Peter Hobkirk.
THe company then expanded having another retail shop on Darwen Street on the opposite side of Blackburn's town centre which to this day is the company's head office.
During the 70's and 80's it was Peter Hobkirk who expanded the chain of domestic shops into Blackpool, Accrington, Preston, Burnley, Bury and Rochdale.
The 1980s also saw the introduction of industrial sewing machines to the companies already vast range of sewing products, along with the appointment of Mr Brian Buttress as Industrial Technical Director (retired 2012).
Mark Hobkirk joined the company in 1993 and in June of 2005 became Sales Director, with Peter Hobkirk as Company Chairman. In 2012 Mark became Managing Director and now oversees all areas of the company.
The company continues to trade from their head office on Darwen Street, Blackburn with a satellite branch still operating from Bury.