Make Your Own Botanist Tablemats!
- The project and material quanities given make four tablemats.
- Use a 0.5cm seam allowance throughout
- Press all seams open unless otherwise noted
- Finished size is 20cm x 35.5cm (8" x 14")
- 1 fat quarter Natural Ferns & Leaves Fabric (Fabric 1)
- 1 fat quarter Cream Small Floral Heads (Fabric 2)
- 1 fat quarter Grey Dragonfly & Bees (Fabric 3)
- 1 fat quarter Natural Passion Flower (Fabric 4)
- 1 fat quarter Cream Butterfly Sketch (Fabric 5)
- 30cm Grey Bumbleberries BB62 (Fabric 6)
- 50cm wadding
- 50cm backing
Fabric 1: Cut 16, 5.5cm x 5.5cm (2.5" x 2.5")
Fabric 2: Cut 8, 3cm x 21cm (1.5" x 8.5")
Fabric 3: Cut 8, 5.5cm x 21cm (2.5" x 8.5")
Fabric 4: Cut 4, 10.5cm x 10.5cm (4.5" x 4.5")
Fabric 5: Cut 16, 5.5cm x 10.5cm (2.5" x 4.5")
Fabric 6: Cut 3cm wide x length to go around all four mats (approx 480cm)
Backing fabric, wadding: Cut 4, 22 x 38cm
- Layout the fabric for each of the blocks as in the black diagram (first picture on your right)
- Start by sewing the small, fabric 1 square to either end of the fabric 5 rectangle, this will form your first row. Press the seams to the right as this will help when sewing the rows together.
- Next sew a fabric 5 rectangle to the large square of fabric 4 then another rectangle together to make the centre row. This time press the seam to the left.
- The third row will be the same as the first row, and again press the seams to the right.
- Sew rows together to form the block centre
- Sew the inner border strips of fabric 2 to both ends of the block
- Sew the fabric 3 outer borders to either end of the block. Repeat steps 1-7 to make four mats in total
- Sandwich together tablemat top, wadding and backing. Quilt by hand or machine as you wish.
- Add binding strips of fabric 6 around the outside edge of each mat. Mitre the corners to make a neat finish.
Send us your pictures - we would love to see them! Email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org